The priory of Saint Martin's day de Salles was rested by the monks of Cluny towards 950. A first church is finished in 1100 of which there remains the apse and the cloister. The conventual buildings go back to 1150 and were increased in 1250. After 35O years of presence of the monks Benedictines, in fact the bénédictines settle there in 1301. At the beginning of XVème century, they make build the chapter house and carries which gives on the cloister. In 1647, the ladies bénédictines become rich seek to be freed from the rule clunisienne.
the wire of the centuries, the young women who became “bénédictines
Rooms” came there because they did not find the husband worthy to join
his weapons to their, or that, more simply, they sought a calm
environment near ladies of their condition, while avoiding the rigours
of a too severe fence. In 1777, they pass from the obedience of Cluny
to that, much more tolerant, of the Archbishop of Lyon: they work out
themselves of new statutes which increase the number of districts of
nobility required at the entry and oblige the ladies to build their own
house in a reserved enclosure. The wishes disappear and are replaced by
a Profession which is only one ceremony fixing with a very flexible
payment; in particular, the chanoinesses-countesses have the
possibility of leaving at will during the day and to have maidservants.
The revolution sweeps this sumptuous design of the monastic life. The houses of the chanoinesses are sold like national goods, three sides of the cloister are cut down, the sacristy and the church is plundered.
The columns alternate of a large pillar with two coupled posts. The capitals at the top of the pillars, decorated foliages, are all different and support ten small arcades with the alternation of a simple column and two coupled columns, which give to the a whole a remarkable elegance.
The chapter house of XVème century
Of Gothic style, it marks the prosperity of XVème century. A large central pillar supports the vault. The four large spans are crowned by a keystone carrying one of the four symbols: the lion for Saint marc, the eagle for Jean Saint, the bull for Luc Saint and the winged man for Mathieu Saint.
The angel painted on one of the veins represents a painted angel which carries the ecu to the black Lion. In the center of this room a large pillar is which opens out in a crowd of veins which support the vault.
These veins divide the room into five spans. The more important quatres are crowned by a keystone which carries one of the animal quatres symbolic systems of the evangelists whereas the fifth carries a painted angel. Three repercussions of vaults diminish on pendants decorated with the same foliage. The room is lit by five windows of which one became a door.
The ladies of XVème century had decorated the chapter house of beautiful paintings, but those of the XVIIIème century covered them with lime. In the middle of the XIXème century, Mr. the Laurent abbot made scrape the walls and thus made réapparaitre holy Odilon and holy Hugues abbots of Cluny.